Why should you write well online? Because you want to establish trust and credibility. You are generally trying to persuade people to buy your product.
For an online forum, you do not want a lengthy essay. Your writing must be direct, concise, clear and punchy. Readers have come to expect speed and immediacy online.
You can be more relaxed about your grammar online. For example, contractions are quite acceptable-I’ll instead of I will. You can also use sentence fragments such as: “Does it work? You bet.”
Remember that a lot of people skim read online. Find a way to capture their attention eg use visual images.
You want your reader to believe you have authority, that you are knowledgeable, trustworthy and reliable. To do this:
• Include only verified information
• Avoid technical language as much as possible
• Make sure your contact information is easily found
• Only use attributed testimonials
• Criticise anyone
• Use offensive language
• Conduct personal arguments online
• Reveal personal information about yourself you don’t want the world to know